There are hundreds of quotes about art and artists, but I would just like to note a few of my favourites.
- “If people knew how hard I worked to get my mastery, it wouldn’t seem so wonderful at all.” Michelangelo
- “If I create from the heart, nearly everything works; if from the head, almost nothing.” Marc Chagall
- “To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts – such is the duty of the artist.” Schumann
- “The greater the artist, the greater the doubt. Perfect confidence is granted to the less talented as a consolation prize.” Robert Hughes
- “To practice any art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow. So do it.” Kurt Vonnegut
- “Don’t think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it’s good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art.” Andy Warhol
- It took me four years to paint like Raphael, but a lifetime to paint like a child.” Pablo Picasso
- “The aim of art is to represent not the outward appearance of things, but their inward significance.” Aristotle
- “If you always do what you always did – you’ll always get what you always got.” Unknown
- “Painting is easy when you don’t know how, but very difficult when you do.” Edgar Degas
- “In our time there are many artists who do something because it is new; they see their value and their justification in this newness. They are deceiving themselves; novelty is seldom the essential. This has to do with one thing only; making a subject better from its intrinsic nature.” Henri de Toulouse Lautrec
- “Every artist dips his brush in his own soul, and paints his own nature into his pictures.” Henry Ward Beeche
Hope you enjoyed these and they inspire you! Let me know which are your favourites or any others you love too. I’d like to hear them!